Thursday, November 17, 2011

Does headlight polish kit work? Readers weigh in.

When we asked readers to try out and review the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit, we heard from more than 60 people who wanted to give it a shot. Amazing. We picked two people at random: Andy Christy, who happens to be a planner for the city of  Concord, and Patrice Ross, of Charlotte. They both raved at the results of the $20 kit. We'll check back with them in six months to see how the lights held up. (This is not about cleaning lights, it's about removing scratches that can affect visibility.)

Anyone got another suggestion for a product to review? Email me at clever@charlotteobserver.com

Andy Christy: I used it on a 1996 Honda Civic, which still has it's original headlights. The headlights were very cloudy and made seeing at night difficult. I planned on replacing the headlights but decided to try the Sylvania kit first. The directions were very straightforward and easy to understand. It took me about 20 minutes to complete the process. It was very easy to follow the instructions and minimal effort was required. I was actually surprised at how clear the headlights turned out. They look brand new! We took the car out tonight and the difference in the dark was obvious. I'm curious as to how long the clarity will last. This was much easier and cheaper than buying and installing new lenses, which would have cost $60. I would recommend this product to a friend

Patrice Ross:  It's is easy to use and the instructions are simple. What I liked best is the fact that the kit contains everything you need except water and paper towels.  With other products, you have to buy the cleaner and the sand paper and and any other items needed to complete the job.The application process is a simple 4 step process and to do both headlights took only about 35 minutes.

The results were phenomenal, in my opinion.  I can actually see down the road at night. My headlights look like they are new. Would I reccomend this product to my friends......YES!!!

5 comments:

Wiley Coyote said...

This is so weird!

I bought one of those Mother's Kits last night to restore my lenses and it did a terrible job.

I had to work at it just to get it back to a point where it looked even with the other lens, which I didn't touch. I'm hoping the one I tried to restore will stay that way.

I have a friend who was doing it on the side a couple of years ago and the system he had, which was somewhat costly and time consuming worked great.

Not I'm debating trying another kit to see if it will fix the mess from the first kit.

Azure Works said...

I used the 3m system. it uses a drill to assist in the scrubbing and polishing of the lenses, it includes 3 sanding discs,a foam spong attachment for the compound, the rubbing compound, a disk attachment for the drill. and of course the water and cloth you provide. I would have preferred a little less in terms of steps but my headlight looked just like the new i had replaced after an accident. It was suggested to me by the autozone guy as the best one to use. I can't argue with the results.

Bates said...

I have a '97 Civic with the same headlights as the '96 mentioned by your reviewer. My dad brought it over the try out on my Civic. My headlights had been foggy since I purchased the car several years ago. Within 5 minutes they looked like new. This stuff is pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

I used a $6 bottle of headlight restorer from Dollar General that did a great job and has lasted 6 months so far

Stunning dude said...

The most recent hids trend is the light-emitting diodes (LEDs). LEDs use semiconductors to discharge electrical energy in the form of light. They do not use filament or gas like the conventional headlamps. LEDs are now used on the Volvo headlight as well as other headlights used by other luxury models. Part of recent auto lighting technology is digital lighting, which allows cycling and alternating colors and intensities in patterns. They could also be made responsive to music being played in the car.