Thursday, March 29, 2012

Save money with these clever tips

The winner: Along with a salt shaker on my kitchen table, I have a sugar shaker to use on cereal, fruit, etc. I distributes the sugar more evenly than a spoon and greatly cuts down on the amount used! Mary Tuner, Morganton

Use mesh bags at farmers markets
Now that farmers markets are opening again, I save the mesh bags from buying lemons, etc. and use them when buying produce. They’re lightweight, breathable, and I don’t have to use the regular plastic bags. Jean Konitzer, Shelby.

Clever trick for garden and amusing the neighbors
Grab your old hula hoop out of storage for a new use in the garden. The arc in the hoop makes a perfect edging guide for planting trees and installing flower beds. When you’re done, you may not be able to resist giving the hula hoop a shake or two with your hips! Debbie Isaacs, Cornelius

Double doodie for Observer bags
The plastic sleeve that keeps the paper dry also makes a great bag for scooping while walking my dogs. This gives the bag a second purpose and saves on buying other bags. I feel that I’m doing a little more for the environment when I reuse the Observer bags.
Melissa Mason Cornelius,



Share your ideas
Win a $10 credit on an Observer Deal Saver deal for your smart or frugal tip Send your tip, name, address and phone to clever@charlotteobserver.com or Home Section, Charlotte Observer, P.O Box 30308, Charlotte, NC 28230-0308.

1 comments:

Matt Isaacs said...

Those poor bags! First, they're filled with crap. Then, they're filled with crap.